Thursday, November 20, 2008

7th Day of Christmas - Homemade Neighbor Gifts

So how many of you intend to plan a Cookie Exchange??? Well, even if you don't, I strongly encourage you to get in the kitchen with your family (younger kids, sisters, your mom...anyone) and bake something this Christmas season.

Until I married a human garbage disposal my sweet husband, I always gave away my baked goods. In college, I was the favorite neighbor! I truly find baking to be therapeutic. I don't mind taste-testing either, but eating all the goods doesn't do my waistline any good, so I prefer to give away my desserts.

This is a great way to get out of the house and meet your neighbors. Traditionally, people seem to give Christmas cookies in those little tins you can buy at the dollar store. Personally, the tins are never big enough for me and my goodies. I've upgraded to gift bags. I line them with waxed paper, stack the cookies and top it with tissue. Then I let the recipient put the cookies in their own tupperware. (is that mean?) I found some really cute, open baskets at the dollar store last month, so that's how I'll deliver this year's Christmas gifts.

If you're wanting to go simple, bake a loaf of banana bread or some pumpkin chocolate chip muffins. If you're wanting to try something new, here are lists of every recipe for cakes, cookies and candy that you could ever want or hope for.

So what are you still doing here? GO! Find a recipe worth baking and sharing!!!

2 comments:

Christie Rogers said...

I LOVE to bake, especially during the holidays!! Pull out the mixer and crank up the Christmas music.....Oh, I can hardly wait! I make cookie plates for my neighbors every year, and I'm looking forward to trying your sugar cookie recipe for this season's gifts! :)

chandy said...

I probably should do something neighborly this year... Our 'hood isn't too terribly socialable, so maybe I need to encourage it. We just met our next door neighbors last night. They moved in about 6 months ago and it was the first time we'd ever seen them outside! As we were chatting, we realized he played the drums in the worship team at our church. Weird, huh?

Related Posts with Thumbnails